Buying house is the biggest investment we make in our life. If interiors are done by professionals then you need not to bother about any decorating mistake but when it comes to decorate by your own then it's very difficult to know what will going to work and we are all bound to make decorating mistakes.
Here are some tips on do's and don'ts of decorating:
- Keep your home always clutter free, tidy, airy and fresh.
- Set your budget and stick to it. Else you may end up spending a lot.
- Choose colors either in bold or in lighter tones and keep overall color theme similar. This adds the personality to home and cheers up the space.
- Choose furniture very carefully as its the biggest piece that will take up place in room and will going to last long. So choose nice lines, shape and color that is comfortable and functional as well.
- Arrange seating closely, for it allows intimate conversation and lot of free space for traffic to flow.
- Mix and match. Be it furniture, art piece or accessories but keep in mind that they all look well blended.
- Bringing in some green plants can make space look lively, try placing some fresh flowers also to add color and to lift up your spirit.
- Display your art collection in an artistic manner. Simply just putting it up on wall is boring, try making a wall collage or cluster of pictures on wall for touch of whimsy in your decor.
- Lighting plays an important role in overall appearance of any space. Put some nice looking lamps, wall sconces and chandelier to add warmth and luxury to your decor.
- Candles, flowers, pebbles and aromatherapy certainly lift up the spirit and look pleasing too.
- Don't over do while decorating. Too much can always spoil the things.
- Wall in whites are not a good idea as it appears monotonous. Paint at least one wall to create a focal point.
- Don't put all things like furniture, carpet, art and accessories in symmetrically. Lot of symmetry can make room appear static.
- Don't choose over sized sofa. It can take up lot of space and make space look smaller.
- Don't hang a small artwork above a big sofa. Always consider scale. Bigger is better go for it.
- Don't leave corners blank. As it grab attention and makes your decor incomplete. Try placing some nice floor lamp, chest or planter to bring charm.
- Don't toss too much pillows/cushions on couch.
- Don't just blindly follow every trend. Choose things that you love.
- Don't spend lot of money in things that will be outdated in few years